1999 Ford Ranger running on 5 cylinders?

D0SITMATR
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Ok, long story short: 3 mos ago, I changed plugs n wires, during the swap, one of the new plugs ceramincs got cracked, so I used one of the old plugs that was still in almost new condition. about a month later, I get random bogging down, no torque, mostly during acceleration, but then started getting worse to where it could happen if on the highway passing someone. so I decided to start small and replace the 1 plug that was from the old batch. bought a new plug, put it in and the truck was acting really bad, like it was running on 5 cyl. so I took the new plug out and made sure it was seated properly, and not damaged. put back in, same thing. removed it again and put old plug back in, no change. but since it was getting really late, I could just detect spark coming from the cap on the plug. thought it was the wire, tried 4 different ones, same thing. this morning, took the plug out and the end had a decent amount of carbon buildup and from the threads to the igniter was really burnt pretty good. (see image) also noticed the ceramic now was cracked, put the new one back in, and the sparking from the plug cap went away, but still runs like on 5 cylinders.
completely at a loss.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/557528_ranger_plug_001_1.jpg

Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 1:01 PM

I need you to check the compression in that cylender. Also, let me know if there is any ticking or knocking in the engine?
Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 3:35 PM
D0SITMATR
No ticking or knocking, I will try and get a compression test in the next day or two.
Sorry, forgot to mention this is the 3.0L engine.
Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 4:58 PM
Not a problem on the engine size. We just need to determine if the compression is low, is it due to rings or valves.
Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 AT 11:16 PM
D0SITMATR
Ive been told by several other people it could be a clogged cat? Since the truck does have almost 170k and its the original cat (Im guessing as I bought it used) this sounds plausible?
Still waiting on the mechanic to be able to get me in for a compression test.
Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 AT 11:25 PM
Yes, the cat can have this affect. However, it will usually affect more than one cylender. It's worth checking.

Let me know.
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 12:28 AM
D0SITMATR
Ok, so I feel like a complete buffoon.

Out of 4 plugs I tried, including a brand new one, only 1 of them came out to be any good.
The new one had a weak post, another had a hairline crack that was unnoticeable until you almost looked at it through a magnifying glass, the last failed one was the one in the pic supplied above.
The only reason I even bothered looking was due to checking to make sure the new one was seated correctly this morning, and that is how I found the post was weak. But my coil is still throwing a weak spark to one of the plugs anyways, so my guess is it was a combination of the two, 1 or the other by itself would allow the truck to run almost normal, but both together was killing it.
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 AT 1:16 PM
Sorry about the delay in responding to you. I lost a family member and things have been.

Regardless, I'm glad it's fixed. As far as identifying that type of problem, anyone would have missed it. When you get new plugs, you don't expect them to be bad.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 1:12 AM
D0SITMATR
Joe, thank you for the help
I am truly sorry to hear of the loss, I hope your doing well.

Sincerely
Michael
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 9:27 AM
Thanks, Michael. After the loss of my mother a little over a year ago, my father went down hill. He was 85 and remained a stone mason nearly till the end. He was always so strong and healthy. I just can't believe he is gone. I guess time will help.

Thanks again, and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Sunday, September 26th, 2010 AT 1:24 AM