1999 Ford Ranger occasional squealing noise

ONERADOK
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

Noises problem
1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Recently my Ranger started making a squealing noise similar to when the belt is worn, loose or slipping. The belt is a single serpentine belt with the spring tensioner. The belt needed replacing due to wear. After replacing the belt the squealing stopped, for a bit. Then occasionally you will hear a small squeak. I since pulled the idler pulley, and the tensioner pulleys and inspected the bearings. They both were dry and dirty and at first I cleaned and lubed the bearings to see if the problem would go away. I ended up replacing both of the pulleys. The noise seemed to get better but again it would occasionally have a small squeal, sometimes for a couple of seconds, sometime just real brief and have to really pay attention. I didn't feel any play in the water pump, and can't feel any real obvious issues from the alternator, or power steering. When the a.C. Compressor switches on and off there is not any link to the noise there either. This has an automatic transmission, but occasionally the noise reminds me of a throw out bearing. Same similar sound, but there has been an obvious improvement in decreasing the amount of noise and amount of time it squeals with the work that has been completed. Any idea what else it could be?

Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 6:47 AM

JACK42

Wil it make the noise with the belt off? Run it for afew, not too long so you dont cook it, but see if it still does it. If so it is probably the Cam Position Sensor. It is what once was the distributor, now it has a sensor in it and they dry out the bushings and squeek like a drive belt. If you remove the cam sensor/housing be sure to mark it position, it has to go back the same way or the truck wont run or will have issues

Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 8:09 AM
ONERADOK

I am not sure if I can run it long enough to ever hear it. It is one of those noises that might be there as soon as it starts, or it may run for several minutes before you hear a slight squeak. Sometimes it squeals for several seconds when it first starts. I am going to look into the sensor though. Where is it located I have been trying to find diagrams or explanation to exact location. Currently the pickup is being used so I can't physically look at it.
Thanks for your help
Randy

Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 8:38 AM
JACK42

It is what used to be the distributor. If you can look at it, you will see what I am talking about. Sometimes you can even remove thesensor off the top, ( 2- 5.5mm screws) and fill top of the housing with oil and let it run through, this sometimes will work

Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 11:36 AM
ONERADOK

Do you have to remove any components to be able to see this sensor? The only item I see similar to what I remember the distributor is the coil. There is the sensor on the by the crankshaft. I just haven't seen anything that looks like the camshaft sensor described nor the part that resembles the distributor that autozon shows, part number 689-109 or similar. Is there a chance that certain engines do not have the camshaft sensor or is it on all?

Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 6:14 PM
JACK42

Is this a SOHC or pushrod engine? The SOHC doensnt have it for sure and some of the pushrod ones dont, but most do have it

Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 7:03 PM
ONERADOK

How would I tell if it has pushrods or not? Currently the only thing I know for sure is the v6, 4.0 EFI.
Would it help if I sent a picture?

Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 AT 5:13 AM
ONERADOK

Here are some pics

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/332227_engine_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/332227_eng3_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/332227_eng2_1.jpg

-1
Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 AT 6:48 AM
JACK42

The say SOHC on the intake or valve covers ususaly, but yours is a regular push rod 4.0. The sensor would be in the center front or rear of the engine, down at the same height as the lower intake

Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 AT 7:38 AM
ONERADOK

I will dig around it some more and see if I can find it. I will let you know what I find if you are interested.

Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 AT 7:47 AM
JACK42

I would love to know what it is.

Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 AT 7:49 AM
ONERADOK

I finally found it. Another engineer who needs to be beaten with a wet noodle. That is putting it as nice as possible. I am sure that is a fine location for a front wheel drive, but....
I tried the oil trick and so far I haven't noticed any noise. It will be out most of the day, so I may know for sure this afternoon, I have started it several times and drove it about 4 miles, so pretty optimistic.
What are the chances that I need to go ahead and plan on changing that? I hope that if it needs to be changed there is enough clearance to remove and reinstall without having to remove the engine. I am getting to old and cranky to be trying to work in the blind like that anymore. Use to love the challenge, especially when working on aircraft. Hurts to much nowadays.
I also sent another picture. It isn't very good, but below that wiring harness and kind of beneath the intake manifold there is the cam sensor. And kind of underneath, next to, the firewall.
Anyway appreciate the help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/332227_IMG_0131_1.jpg

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 7:00 AM
JACK42

No problem, hope it works out. Usually if you catch it early like you did it will work, it is when it goes ignored until it takes out the bushing that it needs to be changed. That line of engineers is pretty long. Lol

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 7:39 AM
ONERADOK

Trust me that line would have to include the ones that aren't just in the automotive field, aviation, cranes, construction, machine tools. I know there are limitations to everything but I swear it is frustrating, as you know, to hear one say they don't see a problem when they look at a drawing. I have had engineers not want to take five minutes to show a simple little change that could be made, because they didn't want to do the paperwork. Even though it would save time and money in the long run for the people having to maintain it.
Good chatting with you.
Randy

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 8:07 AM
ONERADOK

So far so good. No noticeable signs of the squealing anymore. Again I appreciate your help. I don't mind paying someone to fix something for me, but since I am supposed to be considered a mechanic, it is hard for me not to want and try and find a problem prior to being without a vehicle for several days, paying for someone to guess what the problem is.
I think your site is pretty good, and I try to donate when I can, as much as I can. I created a website about 2 years ago, with an original intent of using it for a business that I was considering starting. I had an offer from a company I used to work for at the same time and never really did anything with it. Currently I use it to write little stories about my experiences or others that may have something to input or question. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to add a link to your website so if someone needs some help and happens to be looking at mine they could get to your site if it was more related to what they are needing?
I do not know if you are the correct person to ask, but thought I would start with you, and go from there. I like to ask permission prior to doing stuff like this, just to make sure noone gets blindsided. It would just be a hyperling that would reference how I was able to solve a car issue by using your site, how you only ask for donations etc.

Randy

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 12:36 PM
JACK42

Email me a link to your site. Id love to check it out

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 8:58 PM
ONERADOK

It will be a few days but as soon as I get it on a page I will send you a link
Randy

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM