No brakes

MRSQUIRRELS
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
My 99 ranger xlt has poor brake pedal pressure. Master cylinder is full now but have had to refil every 5-10 miles. No leaks in hoses spotted. Someone told me it could be a crack in the hose from booster to engine. Any ideas?
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 9:16 AM

DOCFIXIT
Have a look at rears see if backing plate wet. If so then wheel cylinder gone.
-1
Tuesday, December 18th, 2018 AT 11:39 AM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Put new brakes front and back on, all new brake lines on, new master cyclinder on, blead master cyclinder, blead intier brake system. With engine off brake peddle seems good, as soon as I start engine brake peddle goes to the floor?
Monday, January 6th, 2020 AT 10:18 AM (Merged)
May need to adjust the rear shoes closer to the drums

See this also

Http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2000-nissan-frontier-frontier-brakes-started-floor-first-time-you-applied-them

Keep us posted

The medic
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
My brakes not working I bought the master cylinder and my foot pedal is all the way down I took the air out and like I said I bought the master cylinder
MHPAUTOS
Did you bleed the master on the bench before fitting? Probably the system is still air locked, I would do a full re bleed start here.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
My brakes are acting strangely. When approaching a stop light or stop swign, my truck will swlow down normally as a get down to about 5mph. At about that speed, the brakes lose strength and the truck will continue to roll forward another 10 -20 feet. The brake pedal does not go to the floor and there is no leaks that I can tell. The reservoir is full. I had a shade tree mechanic replace a broken spring on the left rear assembly, but to his surprise it did nothing to solve the issue. Have you heard of this problem before?
+1
Maybe it's an abs issue?

You know, normally the "abs feature" keeps the brakes from locking up. If you slam them on----this allows you to "steer", not slide (unable to steer)"they" say this may help your steer out of a possible accident

Do you have abs. Is the light on on the dash?

Maybe it's malfunctioning. This is a complicated fix. Mr. Shade tree most likely does not have the high dollar diagnostic equipment

The medic
JSANDERS0417
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Brakes went out, replaced brake booster and master cylinder. They worked fine for a few weeks then went out again. I bled the brakes and they worked fine again for about 2 weeks. The abs light has been on for about 4-5 months but I've only had problems for about 2 months. The last time the went out I bled the brakes and checked for leaks with no luck. There is no leaks and I'm not losing brake fluid. Any idea as to what it could be?
+1
DOCFIXIT
Did ABS light ever go out? Pedal soft? Have you jacked up front and rear to see brakes apply? When installing Master was it bench bleed before install?
MARTY2016
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I had a brake line bust so I also changed the booster and a caliper. I have no brake pedal at all and when I mash the brake it sounds like bubbles are bubbling inside the master cylinder
+1
Monday, January 6th, 2020 AT 10:19 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
I don't know how experienced you are but this system needs to be bled out and may need to be bled electronically if it has ABS using a professional scan tool.
QUESTION
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
I changed my pads and discovered that my calipers were leaking so I replaced them. After replacing calipers I bled the system but I had no brakes. I replaced the master cylinder and bled the system, still no brakes.
Did you bench-bleed the new master cylinder before installing it?
+1
This may help

Is this the way you approached it?

Http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1999-ford-f-150-brakes--3

The medic

+1
QUESTION
Yes I bench bled the master cylinder, placed it on the truck and bled all four wheels and still no brakes at the front wheels.
+1
Do you have a hard pedal?

Do you get hard pedal and drops as you bleed the front calipers---then "recovers" to full pedal when bleeders are closed and a few pumps are performed?

This is sorta puzzling--please answer and add anything else that could be relevant

The medic
Is this the caliper you have?

The medic
QUESTION
When bleeding the front brake after several pumps the pedal was hard but when the bleed screw was opened the pedal did not move but fluid came out of the bleed screw.
+2
Have you checked the rubber brake hoses to the front?
AVIANSPIRIT
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
I replaced the front calipers and pads, replaced the master cylinder, bench bled it before installation, bled brake lines in this order RR, LR, RF, LF and my brake pedal still goes right to the floor. I do have ABS rear brakes. Could there be air in the ABS sending unit? HELP! It looks like there is a bolt there for bleeding or draining fluid.

Sponsored links