ALTERNATOR

1999 Ford Ranger

d.o.c63

March, 11, 2009 AT 2:51 PM

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

i just replaced my alternator and battery I had the alt. Checked and it is good. However, it is still not charging the battery. When I test the alternator by taking the negative off the battery the truck stalls. The alternator should be able to keep the truck running without the battery. What should I check next.

pomonabill220

March, 25, 2009 AT 7:52 PM

A WARNING!
1) NEVER NEVER EVER REMOVE THE NEGATIVE LEAD WHILE THE ALTERNATOR (ENGINE) IS RUNNING!
2)NEVER NEVER EVER REMOVE THE BATTERY NEG OR POSITIVE WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!

The reason is that without a load on the alternator, the voltage that it puts out is VERY erratic AND can exceed the 14 volts that ALL YOUR ELECTRONICS ARE RATED FOR!
This includes the radio / car computer(S) (PCM/GEM/ABS/AIRBAG CONTROLLER/PATS/ETC.
YOU CAN VERY EASILY WIPE OUT ALLL THE ELECTRONICS AND HAVE A DEAD TRUCK with LOTS OF REPAIR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Without a field excitation voltage on the alternator, it will NOT put out anything. It may be able to self excite itself BUT the voltage peaks will destroy electronics!
The battery acts like a BIG filter and capacitor to absorb the nasty alternator's output (even a dead battery has this capacity).
************ DONT DO IT! **************

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue