1999 Ford Ranger after timing belt installed

ROOSTER_MAN45
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I've been handed down a ranger with a problem. The timing belt snapped and another guy replaced it, plugs, one coil pack, wires, fuel filter. One thing I did not like was he gutted the converter trying to fix this problem. Ok now comes to me after two other guys looked at it. It's running ruff, no power skips at times.I checked the computer for codes, po1000, and one for circuit on tps, was put in when they took it off. Ok here is what i've checked, I redone the belt thinking maybe off a little, cam is good, crank good, oil pump mark will not line up exactly. Figured to try it there, no difference. Took compression, 200lbs on all cylinder after 7 compression strokes, checked maf, is getting voltage and sending correct signal voltage, same with tps. Checked and made sure coils wired right. Exhaust was leaking at manifold repaired, checked o2 sensors upstream was acting as it should( have scanner with graph) down stream needs replacing(not reacting at times)fuel pressure fine. Basicly I've done everything I can think of with no luck.

I would love to give a donation but I'm trying to recover from a stroke I had in June and just getting back able to use my left hand, I have been out of work since the stroke. Please accept my apology.
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 7:34 PM

I'd look for a vacuum leak or one of the injectors or more screwing up. Also try chaning the fuel filter as that will screw up the injectors and lean it out as well. Also check the crank and cam sensors for resistance as they will go bad and not give a code. Also check the fuel pressure as that may be out of whack as well.
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 9:25 PM
ROOSTER_MAN45
The fuel filter was replaced, and the pressure was also checked and was good. The engine was running great before this happened, oh and I checked the iac motor, all ok, I pulled some of the plugs and they were smutty and black looks like too much fuel but no black smoke.
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 AT 7:30 AM
I still think it's a fuel delivery problem, like an injector screwing up. If you have the "pro type" injector cleaner try that before replaceing injectors or have a ford dealer check your injectors as they can do that. I just find it odd that before the belt broke everything was ok and then now it screws up. Of course the two or three that worked on it before probably aren't telling the whole story as they forget. I still think you ought to check the resistance in the crank and cam sensors as they could be on the high side causing the problem as well.
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 AT 4:34 PM
ROOSTER_MAN45
I purchased a haynes book on this truck thinking it had the resistance listed, but of course all it had was info sensors and how to replace them, they used to have the part of checking them but they cheaped out like everything else.I'm a retired diesel mechanic of 25 yrs. Then all the other stuff happened to me, but oh well does anyone know the resistance ranges on these sensors. Oh and buy the way when I had the exhaust plugs out during the compression test there was fuel coming out of all the cylinders I wasn't checking. Went out today and sprayed around the intake and the injectors and the plenum for leaks, none found, fuel pressure was at 62 lbs at all times. Running or not.
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 AT 9:25 PM
I looked in the repair manual that is available to me and the resistance isn't shown there either. But if you are getting fuel out of a cylinder while testing then i'd have to say the injector is bad as that 's what goes wrong with them they will either lean out or flood the cylinder. Call a seervice dept at a Ford dealer and see if they can check them it says in the tips that they can to see what's wrong with them. In a worst case you could go to an auto parts and check resistance on a new and see what you have on yours. Same with a cam sensor. Other than that I have no idea what to tell you next.
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 10:39 AM