1998 Ford Ranger Power Windows

OXL832
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
My power windows stopped working all of a sudden along with the interior lights and the electronic 4x4. I`ve checked all of the fuses, and they look good. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank You
Larry
Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 7:33 PM

Hi Larry. Welcome to the forum. Did you check fuses under the hood and inside? Since multiple circuits are affected, I would expect to find a main fuse under the hood is popped. Sometimes it's hard to see a blown fuse. A better way to check them is with a test light or inexpensive digital voltmeter. There are two tiny contacts in the plastic where you can poke the test probe of the test light or voltmeter. The ignition switch must be on when testing the fuses because that's when these circuits are powered up. Look for a fuse that only has voltage on one of the two terminals. I apologize if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 8:07 PM
OXL832
Yes I have checked the fuses under the hood with a test light also, and they all have power. Any other ideas?

Larry
Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 11:19 PM
Thinking about this logically, there has to be at least two different circuits involved. The windows and 4x4 system should only have power when the ignition switch is on. The interior lights will have power all the time. If you are fairly certain all of the circuits were affected at the same time, there has to be something ahead of the ignition switch that they have in common. That would be an internal connection in the fuse box or a break in the wire feeding those fuses.

Can you find the related fuses and see if there is voltage on them? I'm sending a help request to my cousin. He has a '97 Ranger and I think he has the service manuals. Being a former tv repairman, like me, he will have no problem following the wiring diagrams.

I want to apologize in advance if I take a long time to reply. My Verizon personal e-mail provider is going through some major changes, (not for the better), and they're going out of service about 20 hours per day. When you post a response, I get an automated e-mail message directing me to it. I have to watch 24 hours per day to quickly find those messages during the few hours the system is working.

Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 12:03 AM
OXL832
Now I wonder if all these circuits share a common ground. I wish I had a wiring diagragm. I m beginning to wonder if it has comething to do with the GEM module. I ll do some more checking tomorrow.

Thanks for the input

Larry
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 10:40 PM
The GEM module is a possibility. I got a reply from my cousin. Rather than retype eveything, here's a copy / paste version of his reply:

Using manual for '97. PW---does it have p seat, p lock? If so, do they work? If so, fuse 20A #10 (under hood) ok. Power goes to relay. Relay is activated by ignition switch. From there the power goes to the switches, one touch down relay module and GEM. Interior lights--? Are we talking dash, dome, glove box, heater control, etc? #8--20A fuse--engine compartment feeds battery saver relay--that goes to #27 a 10A mini I/P fuse panel which goes to all of the interior lights. The GEM controls the battery saver relay. 4 X 4 system seems more involved--is it in 2wd or 4wd--does the transmission shift properly, including O/D? Items included in the system are--GEM. Battery saver relay, I/P fuse panel, fuse box under hood, 4wd mode switch, electric shift control module, electric shift relay, etc. The common elements to all 3 (if this is 1 problem) would seem to be 12V, ground--, GEM, battery saver module and relay, other? If this is one problem, I would start troubleshooting the lights, that would seem to be the easiest. Other than the modules, visual troubleshooting--looking for a corroded ground, wire that looks pinched, rubbed, etc. Make sure you check all of the lights--flashers, cargo, etc for more hints. Was this intermittent, or start with no warning.
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 12:03 AM
OXL832
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem ended up being in the GEM module.

Larry
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 10:40 PM
2CARPROS LINSEY
Hi oxl832, we're glad your were able to resolve your problem with your truck. We thank you for using 2carpros. Com and look forward to helping you in the future.
+1
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM