1998 Ford Ranger No Heat

BLACK JACK DC
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
The system only blows cold air. I have been told to change the thermostat, water pump, heater control valve, climate control switch. I removed the glove compartment and found the air temperature control door operates like it is suppose to.

Please help
Thursday, February 4th, 2010 AT 2:34 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model the Ranger or Ranger Splash and what is the engine size in liter?

Did this just happen or have you been slowly loosing heat

How is the engine temp gauge look. Normal operating range?

Once the engine is at operating temperature please feel the heater hoses going into and out of the firewall. Do they both feel the same. Both hot or is one colder than the other?
Thursday, February 4th, 2010 AT 9:10 PM
BLACK JACK DC
The model is a Ranger Splash, 4.0 Liter engine, 95000 miles and this situation just happened. I had heat a few days ago. I just turned the temperature down a little, now it will not go back up. The temp gauge is normal, and both hoses connected to the heater core are hot.
Thursday, February 4th, 2010 AT 10:59 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info.

So is this the same with the fan speed in any setting?

How does the AC feel. Does it feel the same temperature. What I am looking for here is to see if there is a temperature difference. You select full cold yet the same warm air. You select hot. The same warm air.

You said the temperature control door was moving as it should. So you select hot and the door moves all the way. Cold. It moves the opposite way all the way
Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 8:33 PM
BLACK JACK DC
The temperature is the same at any fan speed. I am mistaken about the temperature control door, I found out it is not operating at all. If this is the same as the "blend" door, what do I need to do to get this back operational?

+1
Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 1:24 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the update.

On the control panel assembly is the temperature control knob. The temperature knob mechanically operates a cable through a cam mechanism to adjust the temperature blend door. Temperature blend door is in the plenum assembly. When temperature knob is in cool position (turned fully counterclockwise), temperature blend door stops airflow to heater core. When knob is in the warm position (turned fully clockwise), air is directed through the heater core. When knob is in intermediate positions, heated air is blended with cooler incoming air to achieve desired temperature.

Since this appears to be a mechanic, look at where the cable connects to the blend door. Then move the cable. If you can see the cable moving at the blend door connection then most likely the blend door is broken from the connector.

If you are turning the knob and the cable is not moving then it may be broken at the control panel assembly knob. I would check there.

If it is not broken there and still not moving then the cable may be broken. Check that
+1
Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 7:56 PM