1998 Ford Ranger My timing belt broke going down the road

JOEMICBUR
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
Please tell me how to turn the bolt on the crank shaft pully so I can loose the bolt and take the pully off? The entire engine turns when I turn the bolt. I also need to know how to get the motor in time before I place the new belt on the pulleys. TDC is what I'm looking for, but how do I determine that. I know that this is very important, so I need some real expert advice here.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008 AT 1:59 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC
You will probably need to rent a 3/4 Electric Impact Wrench to get the Crank Shaft Bolt out.

You will need to put the #1 Cylinder at TDC on Compression Stroke.....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_98ranger4cyltimmrks_2.jpg

+1
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008 AT 5:26 PM
JOEMICBUR
I know that TDC must on the compression stroke, but how do I determine the compression stroke?
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 8:34 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Do you have a compression tester? If not what you can do is cover the plug hole with something, if you can your finger works great, then turn the crank pulley until you feel the air being pushed out. Look at the mark on the crank and make sure it lines up.
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 9:09 AM