1998 Ford Ranger Ignition switch

ENDLESS SUMMER
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
1998 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I lost the keys to my 98 Ranger XLT. Ford dealer informed me that it was one year older than they kept key code records for. So I purchased the new switch, began reading the instructions and learned that I had to put it in the "run" position to remove the old switch. Well that was impossible since I did not have the keys!
Next I was told that I would have to drill out the old switch. So I drilled it out. I inserted the new assembly, but it will not spring back from the "start" position. I believe the drill has done too much damage now. I never reconnected the battery to try and start the engine. I feel I need to replace the part below the ignition switch assembly. This is a non-tilt wheel model. I need help!
Wednesday, November 25th, 2009 AT 7:18 AM

Why do you think you did too much damage? Is there something in the steering column that you damaged? As far as the actual switch on the steering column, are you properly attached to the connecting rod that runs to it?
+1
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 4:46 PM
ENDLESS SUMMER
I'm not sure if I am connected to the connecting rod. Probably not, because it has no spring action to it at all

Steve Heath
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 5:29 PM