1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Hub issues

DAV4550
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
So my front left hub has been giving me issues for some time, it was making a high pitched humming noise at any speed over 10mph. I had it changed and then shortly after my four wheel drive refused to work at all. Turns out the hub and bearings went bad, as well as the electronic relay switch which could engage and disengage 4x4. Changed it all out again. Was working fine for a while, but now the high humming noise is back and even worse there is a lower noise that sounds as if there is some friction coming from the left hub. Additionally the front left axle is spinning as if 4x4 is engaged, while the right side is fine.
Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 5:58 PM

Are these manual or auto hubs?
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 7:13 AM
DAV4550
They are the automatic hubs, which I know were very temperamental during this era
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 4:11 PM
It sounds like the hub bearing is bad again. As far as the 4wd sticking, is the mechanic cleaning and relubericating everything in the hub assembly when the work is done? Also, have you checked to see if there are any vacuum leaks to the front axle?
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:17 AM