ENGINE PROBLEMS

1998 Ford Ranger

ranger1998

August, 4, 2009 AT 11:37 PM

1998 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 248000 miles

Hello I have a 98 ranger with a 2.5L 4 cylinder. It jerks when I go past 30 kinda stops once I get it past 70. It Idles rough and below 500 rpm for a few minute after I come to a stop or I push in the clutch. I have changed the plugs, wires, and O2 sensor. I have checked the vacuum system and haven’t found any leaks. My engine light came on and the code was P0171. I have found it runs a little bit better at night when it is cooler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

August, 5, 2009 AT 3:19 AM

P0171 a lean fuel condition can be caused by: * Low fuel pressure due to a weak pump or leaky fuel pressure regulator. (Use a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure at idle)

* Dirty fuel injectors. (Try cleaning the injectors)

* Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, vacuum hose connections or throttle body. (Use a vacuum gauge to check for low intake vacuum)

* Leaky EGR valve. (Check operation of EGR valve)

* Leaky PCV Valve or hose. (Check valve and hose connections)

* Dirty or defective Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). (Try cleaning the MAF sensor wires or filament with aerosol electronics cleaner. Do NOT use anything else to clean the sensor, and do not touch the sensor wires

ranger1998

August, 5, 2009 AT 4:25 PM

Where is the pcv at. It is not on the valve cover

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast