1997 Ford Ranger wont start

MTLHDDJ
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
Starter is only about 2 yrs old, alternator is about 3 or 4 yrs old, brand new battery. I have plenty of power, but the car will not turn over. As if a kill switch was stopping it. Disabled the alarm and that did not solve it. It will start once in a rare while. There is a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the direction of the distributer box every time I turn the key with the clutch down. . Checked all fuses. Do not know how to check relays. Did not try light test with starter because I do not have the light. Any suggestions?
Saturday, May 24th, 2008 AT 3:01 PM

But the car will not turn over. Do you mean it cranks over and refuses to start-If so do below to determine what's missing fuel or spark and get back

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time
-2
Saturday, May 24th, 2008 AT 4:27 PM
MTLHDDJ
Quote="rasmataz"]but the car will not turn over. Do you mean it cranks over and refuses to start-

It will not even crank, just clicks from the left side near the distribution box under the hood. The clicking can actually be felt by vibration but I am having trouble finding where it could be exactly. We cannot even popstart it now. It seems as if there has been a progressive decline over the past weeks in it working and getting worse. I have not checked the spark plugs but they are only 3-4 years old. The truck does not get much use. If you need any other info please let me know.
Friday, May 30th, 2008 AT 9:33 AM
MERLIN2021
If you hear a click, then either the battery is weak, or the starter, possibly bad battery cable connections, check and clean both ends of BOTH cables! Dissconnect negative(-) first, and put it on last! If no click the starter relay is no good!
Friday, May 30th, 2008 AT 12:28 PM
If battery/connections are okay-check fuse no. 24 10amp if okay-jumper clutch switch at clutch pedal support red and blue or white and pink wire to the plain pink wire at connector. Note: The red and blue or white and pink wire at the switch connector should have power when key is at start positon. No power to this wire and fuse no.24 okay-the ignition switch is bad.

When clutch switch is jumpered the red and light blue wire at starter relay should have power and also the black wire going to the starter solenoid. Power at black wire on the solenoid-Replace the starter-

See starter circuit below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_st1_4.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_st2_4.jpg

Friday, May 30th, 2008 AT 2:52 PM