1997 FORD RANGER HEAD GASKET COOLANT LEAK?

• yasheh04
  • 1997 Ford Ranger

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1997 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

I just replaced the heater control valve in my 97 ranger and decided to flush the coolant system while I was at it. After everything was said and done, the check engine light came on due to a misfire in the first cylinder. I decided to change the spark plugs and wires since they were very old. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I still had the misfire and white smoke was coming from the tailpipe. Excessive condensation was dripping from the tailpipe and I suspected that it was coolant. I think the head gasket is blown and coolant is shorting out the plug but I want a second opinion before I tear it apart. Do you think the misfire and smoke could be from something other than coolant leaking into the cylinder?

Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 9:22 PM

• billymac

Hi yes you are right coolant is leaking into the cylinder and causeing a miss and smoke.

Now rather it is a gasket or a crack in the cyl head you won, t know until you remove the head.

Good luck billymac

Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 5:52 PM