1997 Ford Ranger Fan Clutch

BUDDYTEN
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
Am trying to replace the fan clutch on my 3.0L. Is this right hand or left hand thread? The instructions with the new one said that I should put a box end wrench on one bolt of the water pump pulley and let the shank of the wrench rest on another bolt. However the pulley (and bolts) are recessed and can't get a box end onto it. When try to use a ratchet and socket, it just keeps turning. How is the easiest way to get this thing off and new one on? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 9:03 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

In order to change the fan clutch you will need a special tool Pic below. I believe you will need to turn Counter Clockwise.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_24947_7.jpg

Here is what your fan clutch should look like....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97fordfanclutch3L_1.jpg

.
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 9:39 PM
SCHRIMPIEMAN
The special tool as indicated on the previous post is correct. Without these, the job is nearly impossible unless you have a large enough crescent (adjustable) wrench to fit over the large nut.

Which way to turn? Instead of thinking clockwise or counterclockwise, just imagine the normal rotation of the fan. If you need to, crank the engine for a bit and remember which way it's turning in relation to you standing in front of the radiator. Stop the engine, and turn the large fan-clutch nut in the same direction of the natural spinning motion of the fan while the engine is running.

Usually, some penetrating oil helps; and definitely, you'll need to use some kind of impact force to break the initial tension off the nut to get it spinning freely.
Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 8:24 PM