1996 Ford Ranger White smoke coming out the exhaust

ITGUY21482
  • 1996 FORD RANGER

1996 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 124463 miles

This is a strange thing for me. I went to the movies and when I got there I heard my car "hissing" from running hot. I was thinking o.K, I gotta get water after the movie is over. Couple hours later, I got into my truck and started driving towards my house hoping to find a gas station with a water station to add water to my radiator. Well when I started driving home, I heard a loud ticking noise. It would get faster if I pressed on the accelerator. So I was barely pushing the accelerator, just praying to get somewhere fast. I ended up breaking down about a mile from my house (Unfortunately there wasn't any water stations on the way home). It didn't instantly shut down, it gradually "wound" down and eventually shut itself off. Weird thing is, I was looking at the temperature gauge and it never showed it running hot. I then popped up my hood and placed my hand on the radiator cap to see if it was hot. Surprisingly it was cool to the touch. The following morning I went to go check out my car. First thing I did was put some water in it. I then checked all my fluids and everything was fine. The oil wasn't a creamy color, transmission fluid was fine, etc. It was a little difficult to start at first, had to keep turning it for like 10-15 seconds when it usually start on the first turn. I then drove it to my house, which was like a mile away. Other than the initial start up and the shaking while it was idling, it would drive fine. I then got it home. I shut it off and then tried to start it up like 10 min. Later (figured I'd let it rest) It wouldn't start up. I then ran to the store to get a few parts but I didn't replace anything. I then tried to start it up and figured I'd take a more thorough look at it. After a couple hours, I started it up. It was shaking pretty rough and white smoke and water was coming out of the exhaust. I would think it was the head gasket, but if it was the head gasket I wouldn't have been able to drive it home, right? I need help because I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?

Monday, April 7th, 2008 AT 7:45 PM

BMRFIXIT

White smoke over heating coolant lose
ITS A HEAD GASKET
have it checked

Monday, April 7th, 2008 AT 8:00 PM