HIGH IDLE ON 96 3.0 L

1996 Ford Ranger

cjordan223

October, 17, 2009 AT 4:01 PM

1996 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

My ranger has been idling high for about two months now. I took it to a mechanic who said I had two bad fuel injectors. I bought new ones and replaced them, but my idle was still at about 2500 RPM wheras normally it would be about 1300. Next I was told that it could possibly be the IAC valve and that it could be bad. So I ordered a new one and replaced it. So now I have 2 new injectors and a new IAC valve and it still idles high. Also its running alot louder, and im not sure where this comes into play but its definately noticable.
I took it to yet another mechanic, and he says its an intake manifold leak and that I should replace the gaskets. However, its only idling high when its in park and neutral, when its put into drive or reverse it drops back down to normal.
Ive also checked all the vacuum hoses for a leak and made sure there wasnt a snag on the throttle cable.
Any Suggestions? Thanks.

October, 18, 2009 AT 1:16 AM

Check and test the throttle position and mass airflow sensor

cjordan223

October, 18, 2009 AT 6:09 PM

Will do, thanks. I ll let you know.
Also. Could it be the Intake manifold gasket? Also I have the same kind of oil leak. So could a bad intake gasket cause a leak and also make my idle high?

October, 18, 2009 AT 6:25 PM

Vacumm leaks will cause the computer to throw fuel at it raising the idle speed also check the throttle plate could be sticking open when not suppose to.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars