1995 Ford Ranger Heater blows steam and engine overheats.

SPACEYTRACEY
  • 1995 FORD RANGER
I'm gonna explain the problem as best I can. I am completely ignorant when it comes to cars! The truck only overheats if you try to use the airconditioner or heater, if you turn either one on steam will fill the cab of the truck, the heater doesn't blow hot, the radiator seems to be holding water however I have to keep refilling the overflow tank. The two times it overheated steam came out from under the hood and it was coming from the passenger side closest to the cab of the truck. As far as having to replace water I only have to do it every five days and I drive it about 60 miles each day. I hope you can decipher and make some sense out of this because I really need some help. Thanks so much in advance!
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 6:03 PM

BILLYMAC
Hi tracy. You have a bad heater core. The core is in the heater box under your dash. Coolant runs through this core and a fan blows across it and heats your cab. When they go bad they lose coolant and no heat and fill your cab with steam. This is not an awful expensive repair but parts and labor will be about 300.00 or so. I hope this helps you billymac
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 4:13 PM