1994 Ford Ranger Got a real prob

GRUNDY125
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Usually takes a few minutes to start when its cold. I turn the ignition and it starts to fire, kinda starts and then shuts off. Usually goes for about 1 minute on that and then it will actually start. Any knowledge? Also, most times when I drive somewhere, my check engine light comes on for about 25 seconds and then shuts off after about 10 seconds. I ran the codes about 3 months ago at a local auto parts dealer. They said the code had to do with my Oxygen Sensor. Not sure if my vehicle has 1 or 2 sensors. But, I replaced the one nearest to the Exhaust Manifold and didn't fix the problem. Also, awhile back I kept getting codes for my EGR valve, which I've replaced 3 times over the last 2 years (which isn't Normal).
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 1:24 AM

RANGERDANGER17
It sounds like a vecuum leak but it could also be a bad mass flow air sensor

buy some mass air flow cleaner take off the MAS and clean the wirers on the inside be careful not to drop them or touch them or they could be damaged

then crank the truck up on listen for hissing for a vacuum leak
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 5:24 PM
GRUNDY125
Well, the thing is that when I take the vacuum line off the EGR valve, the RPMs dont go down or anytbing. And it takes forever to start when the engine is cold. I dunno if maybe that might be my Ignition Module, because it turns over, Starts to fire and then dies. Does that for about 5-10 Minutes every morning. And then after it does start I have to crank on the gas to keep it started, constantly revving the engine when its cold which i know is bad. Also, when I take off for the first time after starting it, usually the exhaust takes on a blue-ish hue and lingers for a little.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/284251_th_Mytruck_1.jpg

Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 9:17 AM
RANGERDANGER17
You said that the idle doesnt change if the EGR are valve is removed that means the rough idle is not cause by thisvalve

clean the mass air flow sensor with a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner it 7 dollars at advance and it should fix your problem

the blueish hue is from bad valve stem seals
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 4:56 PM
GRUNDY125
So that would be where my head is at right? What about the takin forever to start? Same thing too? Or ignition module?
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 7:14 PM