1994 Ford Ranger Battery Replacement

LESISMORE
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
A brand new battery has been installed, then the vehicle was driven for a day or two and then sat for one week while I was on vacation. When I got back, I drove the truck for the better part of a day. At the end of that day, I parked the truck for about 2-3 hours and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't even turn over. It started with a jump and made it about 14 miles to get home. While travelling that 14 miles I could hear a high-pitched whine, like a turbo charger sounds when it winds up, which fluctuates with changes in the RPMs. What was not connected properly when the new battery was installed?
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 1:35 PM

RACEFAN966
You are probably hearing the alternator. So use a screwdriver and put on end on the alternator while it is running and then cup the handle of the screwdriver with your hand and put you ear to it. What do you hear? If you hear the whine loud then you should get the alternator tested to see if it is bad. Just so you know never use an alternator to charge a battery that is not what it is made to do. An alternator is made to mantain the battery and supply power with a fully charged battery. Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 10:12 AM
LESISMORE
Thank you for your prompt response. You are right. I was hearing the alternator (due to a poor connection either at the starter or the positive cable). We went on to rule out the alternator and confirmed that the new battery was, in fact, not defective. We then checked the connections to/from the starter solenoid which were fine. The problem seems to have been a badly corroded positive terminal and post. Upon cleaning them thoroughly, and then replacing the positive cable (when the terminal cracked while charging the battery back up) my little red Ranger is starting fine. Thanks again for your input. You helped us stay in the right direction.
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 1:51 PM
RACEFAN966
Great glad to hear it runs again and is doing fine. If you have any more problems just ask. Thanks again.
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 9:21 AM