1992 Ford Ranger NO SPARK

WIGGEY
  • 1992 FORD RANGER
1992 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 200K miles

Suddenly my tired old Ranger doesn't start. I have no spark at all, so I have taken the ign. Module & the primary coil to O'rielly's & they both checked ok. Best I can figure it must be the crank position sensor, or the ECM itself. Thinking the ECM is seldom the problem, that leaves the CPS. Due to the high cost of this part I neeed to be positive the current one is bad before buying a new one, I need to figure out a way to test the old one. Any idea's? Also, the main connector from the CPS is a 4 wire plug. The CPS also has a single wire with connector comming out of the samr wiring bundle. What is this single wire for? The power to the CPS? The signal from the CPS to the Ign. Control module? If possible I want to test the CPS w/o removing it.
I thank you in advance for any help you can give. Wiggey
Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 1:33 PM

BMRFIXIT
When you turn key on do you have check engine light on
if no light check fuses and relays
you can use an ohm meter to test CPS
Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 6:31 PM
WIGGEY
As to the check engine light, it is on only as it does when first starting to verify it works. Besides, I removed the battery so wouldn't that have erased any codes it had set? It was not on previously that I remember. Perhaps if I just crank it with the starter for 15-20 seconds might that set a code?
I will check all fuses again, but I do not know how to check a relay other than to remove the relay in question and swap it with another identical relay.
The test procedure I found for the CPS says this:
Measure voltage between the CID terminal & grnd by backprobing the connector. Sensoi is ok if voltage varies more than 0.1 volt with engine running at various RPM. Hell, If the engine WAS running, I wouldn't even BE testing the CPS, would I?
Can I unplug the connector from the CPS & take a reading from the CID terminal & ground by just turning engine over with the starter?
Again I thank you in advance for your assistance.
Wiggey
Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 11:00 PM
BMRFIXIT
With key on and check engine light comes on, that will suggest that the computer is powered and its fuse and relay in working condition
as for a crank sensor you can disconnect it and check is using an ohm meter or volts meter (ac volts should generate as you crank if sensor any good )
also I would check for battery power at the coil terminals

check TIMING BELT
+1
Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 6:04 AM
WIGGEY
Timing belt is good. Thanx for the tip about the check engine lite indicating comp has power. I'm not sure how best to check battery power to coil with these coil packs. Would I unplug connector to coil pack, turn key on, and use meter to probe the unplugged connector? I assume there is a constant 12V to coil pack w/ key on?
Thank you much for your assistance bmrfixit
wiggey
Monday, May 19th, 2008 AT 12:11 PM
BMRFIXIT
RED/LT GRN wire is battery power with key on

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_wiringranger_1.jpg

Monday, May 19th, 2008 AT 8:37 PM
RANGERDANGER17
I dont want to sound stupid but are you sure u dont have a bad cylinoid or starter
Monday, May 19th, 2008 AT 9:43 PM
WIGGEY
Starter & Solenoid are fine. Egine cranks like champ.
To verify no spark I removed plug wire on intake side, connected to a new plug, grounded it & watched while my wife cranked it. No spark, not even a weak one. When key is first turned on you can hear the fuel pump pressurize the fuel rail, (I also just installed a new fuel pump/strainer/sender unit. It's definitely a no spark problem. The volt/ohm meter I have is not digital, so reading small amounts of voltage is not really possible. Payday I plan to get a new one that is auto specific & digital.
Thanx for the wiring schematic. I will check the RED/LT GREEN wire to coil with key on to verify power to coil. Thanx much for your continued assistance.
Wiggey
+2
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 6:49 PM