1988 RANGER FUEL PUMPS WONT TURN ON.

• jwallace08
  • 1988 Ford Ranger

I have a 1988 Ford Ranger with a 2.9L V6. This model has (2) fuel pumps. I have recently replaced both myself. It has been roughly 2 months since I replaced them. My truck runs great, when it starts. This past weekend when I tried starting the truck the fuel pumps would not run. 24 hours later I tried to start again and it started, both fuel pumps were operating. I know that the problem is electrical but I am stumped for ideas.

Tuesday, February 13th, 2007 AT 7:06 AM

• TaurusWheel

Any chance that truck has an integrated controller module or some thing similar? Usually, on the car models, was mounted on the radiator upper support, under the sight shield. Small black box with a big connector bolted to it, lots of wires. In that box were fuel pump relay, ac relay, and others. I don't know if they're serviceable, on the cars the box was riveted.

Tuesday, February 13th, 2007 AT 6:19 PM
  • jwallace08

I did some work on the pickup this weekend. I discovered that somewhere in the EFI electronics there is a switch sticking or broken. I re-routed my fuel pump wiring to my acc. In my fuse box put a toggle switch on the dash. Fuel pumps work great now. Thanks for your help.

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 8:38 AM
  • bhugg

I don't know if this will help.
On my 93 explorer, there are 2 possibilities. There is a fuel pump relay that is in the power distribution box. This is under the hood. Look for a box with a bunch of relays and fuses in it. I personally have had 2 relays go out in this box. There is also a 20a fuse to this circuit in the box.
My Explorer also has an " inertia fuel shutoff" sensor that will open the circuit to the fuel pump on impact.
On mine, it is behind the instrument panel on the passenger side. From the diagram I have, it appears to be mounted to the fire wall.

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 11:08 AM