Ford Tarus, SE, 1999, 124000 miles, auto transmission
The shift lever is not working. It will not pull transmissin into gear. Car can be shifted under hood at the shift cable termination point by moving the transmission selection lever. Gear shift will shift car from drive to park position however. Will steering wheel have to be rmoved to repair this? If I carry car to shop what should it cost to fix?
3. Remove speed control actuator cable (9A825) (if equipped). Refer to Section 10-03 .
4. Remove three screws and upper steering column shroud (3530).
5. Insert a scratch awl into the access hole located in the bottom of the lower steering column shroud. Push in on the ignition lock cylinder release pin, rotate the ignition lock cylinder (3675) clockwise to the RUN position and remove ignition lock cylinder from the steering column tube (3514).
6. Remove lower steering column shroud.
7. Remove two screws and knee bolster from instrument panel (04320).
8. CAUTION: Before lowering steering column assembly, completely loosen the shift indicator adjustment mechanism and disconnect the shift indicator cable and adjustment mechanism from the steering column lever to avoid damaging the shift indicator assembly.
Rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel clockwise until enough slack exists to disconnect the shift indicator cable from the steering column lever. After the shift indicator cable is disconnected, continue to rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel clockwise until the shift indicator cable can be pulled through the adjustment wheel and the adjustment mechanism can fall away from the steering column tube.
9. Remove two nuts and steering column absorber (3E644).
10. Remove two nuts and lower steering column assembly.
11. Disconnect shift cable ball-stud from steering column shift lever.
13. Attach mechanics wire to the selector lever end of the transmission shift cable.
14. Remove one nut and disconnect shift cable from manual control lever (7A256).
15. Remove shift actuator cable fitting from shift cable bracket.
16. Dislodge shift cable grommet from dash panel and gently pull transmission shift cable through dash panel (01610) from engine compartment side being careful not to pull mechanics wire completely through dash panel.
17. Remove two bolts, one nut and shift cable bracket from transaxle.
1. Install shift cable bracket to transaxle and secure with two bolts and one nut. Tighten bolts and nut to 20-26 Nm (15-19 lb-ft).
2. Attach mechanics wire to transaxle range selector lever end of shift cable and thread opposite end of mechanics wire through dash panel and into passenger compartment.
3. Gently pull shift cable through dash panel and into passenger compartment side until shift cable grommet can be seated into dash panel.
4. Install shift cable into shift cable bracket and secure with shift actuator cable fitting.
5. Connect shift cable ball-stud to steering column shift lever.
6. Connect shift cable to manual control lever and secure with shift cable-to-manual control lever nut. Do not tighten nut until shift cable has been adjusted.
7. Secure shift cable in steering column bracket with shift actuator cable fitting.
8. Raise steering column assembly into position and secure with two nuts. Tighten nuts to 13-17 Nm (10-12 lb-ft).
9. Install steering column absorber and secure with two nuts. Tighten nuts to 13-17 Nm (10-12 lb-ft).
10. Thread the shift indicator cable through the shift indicator adjustment wheel and connect the shift indicator cable to the steering column lever. Rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel counterclockwise onto the shift indicator adjustment mechanism and install into position. Adjust shift indicator as necessary.
11. Install knee bolster to instrument panel and secure with two screws.
12. Place lower steering column shroud into position and insert ignition lock cylinder into steering column tube.
13. Install upper steering column shroud and secure with three screws.
14. Adjust transmission shift cable. Place transaxle range selector lever in (D) position. Tighten shift cable-to-manual control lever nut to 17-23 Nm (13-17 lb-ft).
15. Install speed control actuator cable (if equipped). Refer to Section 10-03 .
16. Install air cleaner assembly.
17. Connect battery ground cable. Refer to Section 14-01 .
18. Check transaxle operation in each range. Make sure park mechanism and transmission range (TR) sensor are functioning properly.