2001 MUSTANG STALLS WHEN FOOT IS OFF THE GAS

• chewie78
  • 2001 Ford Mustang

I have a 2001 Mustang GT Bullit (4.6L) with 25k miles on it. Just recently, I have not been able to start it without having my foot on the gas pedal. Also in order to keep the engine running I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal. As soon as I take my foot completely off of the gas the engine dies immediately, no sputters, no lopes, just dies. To give some history, the car was sitting for about 8 months and then I drove it for about a month (2-3 tanks of gas thru it). Then I let it sit for about a week and that's when the problem started. One other thing I should mention is that I had a performance chip put in it about 2 years ago. Also, the battery is fully charged. One more thing, the check engine light is not on. Any ideas on what's causing the problem?

Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 10:58 PM

• rasmataz

Check engine light-is On?

First we need to examine if the idle air control valve/speed controller needs cleaning. Also The engine's coolant temperature sensor whether its functioning during open loop mode adjusting fuel enrichment for cold initial starts.

Might be an EGR crack opened creating vacuum leak and diluting fuel mixture. Lets get the above checked, that don't fix it, come on back.

Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 11:43 PM
  • Jack42

Id go with the IAC Valve, they fail frequently in Fords, given there are no vacuum leaks

Friday, September 28th, 2007 AT 7:36 AM