2001 Ford Mustang Battery Light Goes on

MICHAELTHEBUS
  • 2001 FORD MUSTANG
Just in last couple of days, the battery light goes on now and then. Stays on at times 1-2 mins. Or less thank 15 secs. Today it never came on. Can't seem to fix on weather having a/c on effects it. I'm original owner and never had this. Battery is 2006. Living in Phoenix heat never had this effect.
Friday, September 25th, 2009 AT 11:13 PM

RACEFAN966
Well I would take it to a local parts store that will do a free charging system test and have them test the system. It may be that the alternator is bad. Also check the battery cable connections for any corrosion is there is corrosion then clean the cables. Let me know what you find. Just for fun any performance mods?
Saturday, September 26th, 2009 AT 9:05 AM
MICHAELTHEBUS
I read a shortcut. Instead of taking it to a parts store etc. Start the car and then take the " ground " cable off. If the engine dies immediately then the alternator is the problem. Any truth to this?
Thanks Mike.
Saturday, September 26th, 2009 AT 10:16 AM
RACEFAN966
NO please do not do that. This is only a good test on generators not alternators. This will spike the alternator and could ruen it and maybe even spike the computer and take it out too. SO please NO don't do it just go to the local parts store and have it tested they usually do this for free so the only cost is the gas. Let me know what you find with the test.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 12:50 PM