CVT TRANSMISSION

2006 Ford Freestyle

casper2918

March, 10, 2010 AT 9:50 AM

2006 Ford Freestyle 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

I don't have this car yet - I am looking at possbily buying it but wanted to see if there is an issue with the CVT Transmission " blowing up".

ragtopmann

May, 25, 2010 AT 5:06 PM

I wouldn't be so worried about the CVT transmission. I pull a 2000 lb pop up camper and an 1800 lb ski boat quite a bit and have never had tranny problems. The tow limit is 2000 lbs. Many say they wouldn't tow anything with the Freestyle due to the CVT, but I have and haven't had a single problem. My issues have been with the Throttle Body and AC Compressor only cooling the car at over 2500 rpm. But the AC issue is just a $30 part. The amenities of the freestyle are great but the mechanics of the engine components are questionable. The CVT Transmission does allow better gas mileage. I have over 80K miles and still getting 27 - 28 mpg on the highway! A few pointers. Don't change the rear brakes unless you know exactly how to compress the calipers. They screw in and out, not compress in and out. Get the extended warranty!