2005 Ford Focus fuel pump

JOHNTC
  • 2005 FORD FOCUS
Sometimes my car will not start I cannot hear the fuel pump hum as usual on first turn of the key this will persist until I have left it to stand for an hour or soand somtimes overnight, it doesnt do it every time it can go weeks without it happening then it will do it again just the once and its ok again.I've had a code reader on it and there is no fault codes stored the engine turns over ok but no fuel gets thru. After its been left a while I can hear the pump and it starts. As a replacement pump is expensive I was wondering if it's a relay or sender module fault
Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 9:19 PM

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 9:35 AM
JOHNTC
I have a Spark so the plugs coils etc are ok. Theres no fuel at the fuel rail I has to be a pump related problem but because it it intermittant its proving difficult to solve as it can work ok for several weeks before doing again and it dosent matter what the outside temp is or how much fuel is in the tank. The car perfectly ok during the times in between the fault and is ok immediately after?
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 11:53 AM
Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 11:55 AM
PUFFNSTUFF
Could be wiring problems going to the sending unit
Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 7:25 AM