2005 Ford Focus eletrical system

BDOYLE53
  • 2005 FORD FOCUS
My battery light keeps coming on, I have checked belts, battery and all connections. Next step is my alternator. How can I check it without having to go completly through the process of removing it and then finding out it is ok?
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 9:21 PM

DAVE H
Generator On-Vehicle Tests - Load Test
Switch the tester to the ammeter function.
Connect the positive and negative leads of the tester to the corresponding battery terminals.
Connect the current probe to the generator B+ output terminal, circuit 30-BA6 (RD).
With the engine running at approximately 2,000 RPM, adjust the tester load bank to determine the output of the generator. Generator output should be greater than the graph shown below in order to pass this test. If the test is passed, refer back to the pinpoint test or GO to SYMPTOM CHART. If the test is not passed, install a new generator. For additional information, refer to GENERATOR AND REGULATOR .
Fig. 11: Generator Output Graph
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_focus_2.jpg

Generator On-Vehicle Tests - No Load Test
Switch the tester to the voltmeter function.
Connect the voltmeter positive lead to the generator B+ terminal, circuit 30-BA6 (RD) and the negative lead to ground.
Turn all electrical accessories off.
With the engine running at approximately 2,000 RPM, check the generator output voltage. The voltage should be between 13.0 and 15.0 volts in order to pass this test. If the test is passed, refer back to the pinpoint test or GO to SYMPTOM CHART. If the test is not passed, install a new generator.
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 9:30 PM