2003 Ford Focus locked ignition

JEWEL3030
  • 2003 FORD FOCUS
2003 Ford Focus Manual

The key won't turn in the ignition. And yes I have tried the jiggle. Do I have to change the cylinder or is there an easy fix.
Monday, October 6th, 2008 AT 6:09 PM

SYLVIA2555
I had the same problem with 2003 Fors Focus and the dealership wanted $500.00 but I called the Locksmith that we use for work and the guy came out and did it for $150.00 and it took him only 20 minutes. He said that he gets at least 5-10 calls a month with the FOrd Ingintions locking up, he even wrote that on my receipt, He said that the teeth on the inside of the switch are faulty and if they bend anyway just a little bit, it will lock up. But when I called Ford back and complained they said that it is not a recall item. Which if you search other sites. IT SHOULD DEFINITELY BE A RECALL BACAUSE IT IS FAULTY! Hope this helps and save you some money.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 3:17 PM
BRYANC1
Hi, These cars have a history of the ignition lock cylinder wearing out very quickly. I have replaced several and the insides literally turn to metal dust. I have also noticed that the replacement locks wear out just as fast as the originals. Other than to just keep changing them there's not much you can do. Ford has the attitude that it is not a big enough problem to issue a recall. You should keep in mind that these have the security feature built into the key, and replacement ones will need to be programmed. With that said, there is a trick. After replacing the cylinder, you can tape the old key underneath the plastic cover next to the pickup ring that surrounds where the key goes into the switch. The car will think you are using the old key and will let it start. Hope this helps!
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM