2001 Ford Focus Key and lights

BOB W 633
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
Cannot turn key, (sterring whell is not locked), I tried both set of keys. Also both front headlights and rear brake lights are not working.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 8:46 AM

BRYANC1
Hi, These cars have a history of the ignition lock cylinder wearing out very quickly. I have replaced several and the insides literally turn to metal dust. I have also noticed that the replacement locks wear out just as fast as the originals. Other than to just keep changing them there's not much you can do. Ford has the attitude that it is not a big enough problem to issue a recall. You should keep in mind that these have the security feature built into the key, and replacement ones will need to be programmed. With that said, there is a trick. After replacing the cylinder, you can tape the old key underneath the plastic cover next to the pickup ring that surrounds where the key goes into the switch. The car will think you are using the old key and will let it start. As far as your lights go, other than checking your fuses, I couldn't take a guess without actually looking at the vehicle. These models do have a problem with the wiring harness where it passes from the body to the rear hatch getting damaged, and the emergency flasher switch going bad causing brake and lighting problems, so that might be a good place to start looking. Hope this helps!
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 12:25 PM