2000 Ford Focus Ignition Switch Barrel

APPYTIGGER
  • 2000 FORD FOCUS
I need to change the barrel in the ignition but the key will not turn to get it to the accessory position so I can release the barrel. How do I get the barrel out?
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Remove the upper/lower shroud cover. Tap on the outer cylinder section with a hammer that surrounds the IGN cyl while trying to turn the key
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 5:04 PM
APPYTIGGER
Thank you for your response. After I asked the question I looked through the forum and found several other people had/have the same problem and many were suggested to have a lock smith look at it. I will be call a lock smith tomorrow to come and look at it. Ford needs to take care of this when it is repeatedly happening in cars.
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 5:39 PM
CARSANDAIRPLANES
Ford has refused to do a recall over this very common problem. The original ignition lock cylinder in the Focus have a side-bar that wears and easily gets stuck. Strattec and other lock cylinder companies make a cylinder that does not have a side-bar to replace the defective ones. This is typically at least a $200 job for a locksmith to come out and do. Try doing what you did with the hammer to get the key to turn to the accessory position. If it doesn't work, drill the sider-bar (message back if you try that). Once in the accessory position and the steering wheel column plastic is off, push the "active retainer" with a pick (it is very narrow and is perpendicular to the key in ACC pos) and the cylinder will come out. Taking your key to a locksmith and having them set a new ingintion to your key will save you a lot of money.
Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 1:54 AM
APPYTIGGER
Thanks for the input and I did end up having a lock smith come and fix it. Ended up costing about $140 for the ignition, another key and the lock smiths time.
Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 2:36 PM