REGULATOR CABLE BROKEN

1998 Ford Focus

mk0x55

1998 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

on my Ford Focus '98 1.6, the red cable from the 3-pin alternator regulator connector is broken, which probably caused voltage fluctuations, overcharging, failure of both front headbulbs and strange system behavior (different systems including ABS turning on and off while driving sometimes).

With the 3-pin connector plugged in, the battery voltage with the engine stopped was around 12.8 V (quite low) and 15.8 V with the engine runnning (quite high), fluctuating more than +- 0.2 V.

As a temporary solution, I have disconnected the 3-pin connector, which resulted in the following:
- voltage fluctuation disappeared, it is stable now;
- with lights and rear window heating off, the voltage is around 14.02 V (within acceptable limits);
- with all lights on (full, half, fog) and the rear window heating on, the voltage goes down to around 13.74 V, being stable at this value (within acceptable limits, too).
In this state, the voltage itself seems to be stabilized and not harmful anymore.

My question is:
Can I drive the car normally with the 3-pin connector unplugged? Don't I risk some other (more serious) problems to be caused by that? If so, what can it cause?

Thanks for the advice.

Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Hummer H2
Wiper Blade Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Mercedes