1993 Ford F350 Flashing ABS light

BILLK76904
  • 1993 FORD F-350
On the way to our ranch yesterday I found that the ABS light on my dash had begun to blink steadily. When I stopped to do anything outside of the truck the light would sometimes stop but for the most part kept blinking. When I shut the truck off altogether and later restarted it after maybe 15 to 20 minutes the light stayed off for a while until I had made it a mile or two down the road. It was very intermittant. The Check Engine light has been doing the same thing for much longer but our mechanic said nothing turned up on the code cache when he checked it a few months back. Is it possible with all the bumping along off road I have some bad connections or would these be bonified trouble lights?

4/21 - As an update to this I was watching the ABS light flash this weekend and found that it blinks 16 times and then pauses for a second before it starts again. Is this a code or is it due to the compuer running on a base 16 system? I work with desktop computers but don't know much about automotive computers.
Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 6:27 PM

SERVICE WRITER
I'm going to do a little research on this.

Code 16 means the system is okay, but let me get more info.

Should check the computer codes again though.

To check the abs codes, put the ignition switch to "run" position. Disconnect the two halves of the RABS diagnostic conecctor. Atttach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripes wire side of the diagnostic connector. Ground the opposite end of the jumper to a good chassis ground for 2 seconds. This should start the RABS lamps on the cluster flashing.

IT will come in a srries of short flashes, followed by a long flass and tehn repeat itself. The code is determined by the number of short flashes PLUS the long flash.

Post the code and we can go from there.
Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 9:53 AM
BILLK76904
I thought that I had marked this question to send an e-mail whenever someone replied but it never showed up - unless my antispam filter ate it.

I will try your test request tonight when I get home if I can find the RABS connector. Not sure of its location but I think I have a repair manual for the truck - I think. I may be thinking of another truck we had long ago.

Thanks.
Thursday, April 24th, 2008 AT 10:36 AM
BILLK76904
Need to locate RABS connector. One picture I found on the net said it was under the dash to the left of the instrument cluster but didn't see anything I could readily identify there. Where is the connector you spoke of on a '93 F-350?

Thanks.
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 5:51 PM
SERVICE WRITER
The RABS connector is inder the far side of the instrument panel, below right bottom corner of the glovebox
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 5:59 AM
BILLK76904
Ok, thanks. I'll have to get to it a bit later. We had to leave the truck at the ranch yesterday because it wouldn't start due to bad battery cables. The local Ford parts distributor only stocks the positive cable so I hope that's all I'll need. When I get THAT little problem fixed I'll check the RABS location. Just hope it didn't die over an ant bed because I'll have to crawl under it to work on the starter connection.

Thanks, I appreciate your time.
Dana
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 10:57 AM
BILLK76904
Ok, the new positive cable is in and the truck is back at the house. Found the RABS test point, grounded the black with green stripe wire for two seconds with the ignition on and the ABS flashes did not change. Turned the ignition off and then back on again, grounded the RABS wire and left it grounded and still no change. In both instances the light flashes 16 times and then pauses a second then starts over again.

This weekend I did notice that the front left rotor/caliper assembly seems to be grinding. This is either because of all the mud we went throught with all the rains this past weekend or the extra load from the trailer full of livestock we were pulling finally pushed the pads over the edge and they need changing. There's no squealing or loss of stopping ability, though, just a grining sound when the brake is applied and there's not much road noise to hear it.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 8:56 PM
BILLK76904
I replaced some badly worn out brake pads on the front disc brakes yesterday but the ABS light still blinks the 16 times and then repeats.

I was wondering where the ABS sensor connects to the brake system in this truck. I bought a Haynes manual to make sure I did the brake pad replacement correctly but there's very little in it about ABS and zero information about this particular signal.

Any ideas out there? I see the 'reads' for this submission have increased some so if anyone out there has any ideas I'd sure appreciate some info.

Thanks.
Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 9:29 AM
MERLIN2021
You ground the black and orang, or the abs system can be damaged. SW did say black/orange.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 2:59 PM
BILLK76904
I believe the other wire was red, or at least monocolored, so whatever it was - black with orange or black with green - was the one I grounded. I'd been standing on my head for a while trying to see and work on the connection but I realize the importance of grounding the correct wire. The connection was just one wire on both sides. This is what the test point is supposed to be? I'll double check the colors again tonight when I get home.

Thanks.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 4:07 PM
CROWNVIC1993
Hello, Can I use this test method on my 1993 Crown Vic ABS?

TIA
Thursday, February 1st, 2018 AT 4:48 PM
KEN
Yes you can, but please start a new question if you want more info

Please post your question here

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Cheers, Ken
Sunday, February 4th, 2018 AT 12:47 PM