TIMING OFF

Ford F-250

huntsforhorns

February, 12, 2007 AT 10:41 PM

The timing on my 86 f-250 4x4 with 5.8 litre engine is not kosher something is wrong with it when #1 is at top dead center on intake stroke the timing mark is 180 degrees out I have pulled the distributor out and reset but truck would not run also have moved wires 180 deg but still wont work could it have wrong harmonic balancer installed truck runs very sluggish and very slow revving up it also has automatic tranny and holley 4 barrel

jeftfields

February, 12, 2007 AT 10:52 PM

Check real close and make for positive you have the timing mark if I remember right some of those have 2-3 marks on it and it will throw you off.

huntsforhorns

February, 13, 2007 AT 1:36 AM

You are correct it has 3 marks on it but none are anywhere close at TDC or 180 out I have timed a lot of vehicles but this one threw me off and I was wondering if there was a way to fix it without teardown

jeftfields

February, 13, 2007 AT 8:47 PM

I think the only thing you could do at this point is to remove the #1 spark plug whitch is the first one on the pasenger side, have someone turn the motor over little bumps at a time, with your finger over the hole in#1 cyl, as you feal comp, stop then recheck for timing mark, and readjust dist, to #1, with this done you should get something out of the truck.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Change