2001 Ford F-250 just bought it

• 1 POST
  • 2001 FORD F-250

2001 Ford F250 Engine Size unknown Four Wheel Drive Automatic 126250 miles

I just bought this truck friday from planet ford, it is a f250 with the trittonV10 6.8 liter engine 4x4 lifted 6 inches, got all the bells and whistles, but with the 29 gallon gasoline tank, I figured it would get more miles out of the bigger tank, but I filled it up saturday, and have driven it in town of houston texas for 125 miles and have already used half a tank, is that normal?And when I stop from a normal speed it kinda shimmys as if the brakes are going out, but we had the dealer look at them and they said they were good, what else could it be, oh it does have big mud tires on it, they are new looking and are loud when going down the road. What can I do to it for a basic but helpful tune up since it is new to me and I know nothing of its past repairs.

Tuesday, April 1st, 2008 AT 9:38 AM

The oversized tires may be part of the problem on the shimmy. You should look into matching the right tire size for the distance it was lifted to.

I would guess you get 12 miles to the gallon on that, maybe less.

There is a whole slew of maintenance that should be done to it if it hasn't been.

Differential fluid changes, transmission filter, plugs, fuel filter, coolant flush etc.

Sunday, April 13th, 2008 AT 7:38 AM