1995 Ford F-250 coolant pressure loss

LITTLESTEVE
  • 1995 FORD F-250
I found some coolant in my oil pan when I went to change oil. I was told that the front cover gasket or intake gasket was the most likely cause. I replaced these gaskets as well as the heads for other reasons and I am still seeing the same pressure loss when engine is cold that I did before replacing the gaskets.
No leak down when engine is warm. Any ideas?
Monday, August 18th, 2008 AT 6:06 PM

JACK42
May have a pin hole in the timing cover. I have seen many Ford covers rot out and cause the leak, versus the gasket actually being bad. Is it still going into the oil pan?
Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 AT 8:06 AM
LITTLESTEVE
I have replaced the timing cover when I replaced the front cover gasket because it was coroded and warped. I also loosened the oil drain plug to see if coolant was still going into the oil and saw none drain out. I have verified the tester on another vehicle and it holds pressure rock solid. On the f250 I have a hard time even getting it to pressurize at all.
Its like trying to pump up a bicycle tire that has a pin hole leak and as soon as you stop pumping it starts to leak down. But like I said before it is rock solid when the truck is at temp.
Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 AT 11:01 AM
JACK42
Where is the coolant level in the morning when you are testing it? If the system is pushing a little out when you shut it down hot, then you may be trying to compress air, which the tester wont do. Does it use any coolant?
Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 AT 3:11 PM
LITTLESTEVE
I have not driven it enough since getting it running again to notice any coolant loss. However your idea about compressing air was something I considered. I have refilled the system after doing all of that work and I was wondering if air could be trapped in the system. The guage on the pressure tester will drop to about 4 or 5 pounds then stop. If it is air I'm not quite certain how to bleed it out. I will check the coolant level in the morning. I did drive it some today. It runs like a scalded dog and idles smooth as glass after all the work including a tune-up. If you know how to get all the air out of the system let me know. Thanks for your help.
Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 AT 8:32 PM
LITTLESTEVE
Thanks Jack for your help. I found the problem. The radiator was seeping very slowly between the tank and core on passenger side at the bottom. When the engine was warm it apparently would seal and cold it would seep under pressure.
Wednesday, August 20th, 2008 AT 10:52 AM