Wiper trouble

MRMIKE7
  • FORD F-150
1996 Ford F150

Wipers will not work at all. Just a clicking sound from near/behind the glove box when the switch is turned on.

Originall I thought it was the wiper motor, but I replaced it with a new one 2 days ago. It did the same thing. However. The NEW motor was making a soft humming sound & heat came from it after shutting the truck off. The OLD motor did'nt do that. I took the new motor back to advanced auto, and got the old one back. Since it didnt solve the problem (thinking the old one was still good) The old motor doesnt heat up like the new one did, what does that mean?
Now I am afraid that the old motor is NOT good since it didnt make that noise or heat up. But I didnt think about that when getting it back after returning the new motor. I did my research and there is no relay or anythoing on this truck. All there is-
1. Wiper motor
2. Switch
3. Fuse (which I replaced)

So my next attempt is to replace the switch. I don't know if their is another fuse to the wipers or not. Are there normally 2 fuses? There is a fuse box under the hood. But nothing is labeled. (Not my truck & no book)

How hard is it to replace the switch? The washer fluid comes out, turn signal works, it just the wipers that dont work. Any advice would be helpfull.
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007 AT 11:19 PM

BRUCE HUNT
Try hooking up the motor to the wiring harness without installing it to see if it runs. I am thinking you have a wiper arm pivot that is frozen not allowing the wipers to move.

Here is a wiring diagram (below) and a test guide to help you locate the power loss if any.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
+6
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 10:52 AM
MRMIKE7
I connected the new wiper motor to the harness and it worked! The old one was burned up so it didn't work so I guess that where the heat was coming from.

What do I do now?
+1
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 4:27 PM
TAURUSWHEEL
Like above post, check motor with 12 volts. Do you have intermittent wiping on that truck? Could be the wiper switch itself, or multifunction if your vehicle uses that, also I believe there is a wiper governor, not sure idf that's the correct name, that controls the intermittents. Be careful applying volts to the motor, make sure you have the correct hookup. These things are temperamental especially in the parking circuits which burn out easily. Don't know where you live, but if it's cold and snowy, make sure you always free the blades from the window before you turn on the wipers, failing to do so will almost always guarantee a fried parking circuit
-2
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 4:49 PM
MRMIKE7
I got the wipers working by spraying wd40 and letting it soak. Thanks guys this site is great!

What exactly does "intermittent wiping" mean? Sorry. Dont know much about vehicles, but learning as I go. LOL.
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 5:09 PM
TAURUSWHEEL
You know, the delay wiper action such as when it's a misty-type rain, a lot of Fords had 6 or so settings in addition to regular and fast speeds
-1
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 AT 8:51 PM