Heat

RJBALES
  • FORD F-150
I have a 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4X4, 5.4 Ltr Triton engine, with 61,840 miles.
Recently it has started giving me an intermittent heat sensing problem. After I drive for about 10 minutes at normal temperature my temp gauge maxis out and the engine runs on what feels and sounds like one cylinder. I then turn my engine off and restart finding the temp back to normal and the engine running on all 8 cylinders. Also, there must be some type of back pressure problem because when I exit my truck there is a very strong odor of anti-freeze creeping out from under the hood. At the same time my heat sensor problem started I now have intermittent problems with my heater not working. With all said I thought I had a bad thermostat so I replaced it and found I still have the same problems Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Randall
Saturday, February 10th, 2007 AT 6:18 PM

SERVICE WRITER
The intermittant loss of heat is probably from the coolant level dropping. There is a chance of a headgasket problem going on. That would explain the overheating condition, coolant loss and missfire.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_crying_1_1.jpg

Don't put this problem off. feel free to continue here!
Saturday, February 10th, 2007 AT 7:51 PM