ELECTRICAL ISSUES POSSIBLY ALTERNATOR

• canthony
  • Ford F-150

I have a 1997 Ford F150 165,000 and have just exeperianced a peculiar problem. Yesterday the battery light came on while driving down the road. No issues came up so all should have been fine. The battery is only 2-3 years old(5-10 yr battery). Tonight while driving interior lights slowly dimmed as well as the head & tail lights. Several warning lamps on the dash came on such as the ABS, Seat Belt, and etc. The radio went out and I had to pull over. The truck hesitated to go forward, but would reverse fine and idle as well. After, letting it stay parked and off for a couple of hours it started up fine as if nothing had happened. What's going on here? Is it a bad alternator, battery, or something else?

Thursday, January 11th, 2007 AT 5:10 AM

• Bruce Hunt

Experienced that problem. You will probably not experience it again for a day or two or maybe a month or more. It is an internal problem on the alternator. I have let mine go and it has been 5 months since it let me down. I would be that if you had the alt tested when the lights were dimming it would have failed the test but pull that bad boy off and it will pass the test just fine. Your call on what and when to do it.

Thursday, January 11th, 2007 AT 3:18 PM