BATERY LIGHT AND CHARGING ISSUE

• Timthetrucker
  • Ford F-150

Hi, I have a 1998 Taurus w/115000 miles. The battery light flickers on and off, when its on I dont have any charging, the light get dimmer, the blower fan slows down, but when the light turns off, seemingly at random, the lights brighten, and the fan speeds up. I checked the connections at the alternator and batery posts, nothing there is loose. Is there somewhere else I should be checking for loose wires, or might this be an internal problem at the alternator or some other part rewuiring replacement? Thanks, TimtheTrucker

Wednesday, November 1st, 2006 AT 10:05 AM

• acer

Sounds like the alternator or charging problem. Check that the battery is good and can hold a charge. If it is ok, then probally the alternator is going bad.

Friday, November 3rd, 2006 AT 9:44 AM
  • Kimmie6604

I have a 91 Buick Park Ave that does the same thing. I replaced the battery and the alternator with no luck. Did you find anything else out about it?

Thursday, November 16th, 2006 AT 4:50 AM
  • Bruce Hunt

I would say the original issue is an alternator problem and it sounds like a short in the alt.

The buick man did you buy the alt from parts store and have you had it checked to see if the alt is working. I don't care that you think it is new but I would wager it is rebuilt and they aren't always done right. Eliminate that, it is easy.

Thursday, November 16th, 2006 AT 7:29 AM