2006 Ford F-150 Lack of Power when taking off

BPENDINO
  • 2006 FORD F-150
I have a 4.6L V8 F-150 that seems to be short on power when taking off. I plan to clean the MAF sensor tomorrow and see if that makes any improvement.

When I put the K&N Air filter in place it seemed to improve a bit, which makes me think it could be an Air flow issue. I don't seem to see a problem with Air flow, but I'm not certian as to how dirty the MAF sensor is.

Any other suggestions to improve performance?
Sunday, November 15th, 2009 AT 2:04 AM

SERVICE WRITER
90,000 miles. Have you taken a look at the spark plugs? Has there been any carbon cleaning procedures done?

IF you have a fuel pressure gauge, you can run it up to the windsheild to monitor it for a loss of pressure at that time.

Typically you would have the cel light up if the MAF was a problem, but it certainly can hurt to clean it out with electrical cleaner. I assume no CEL is lit?
Sunday, November 15th, 2009 AT 2:49 AM
BPENDINO
Yes, as to the plugs, I suspected the same so I actually I just replaced the plugs 2 months ago. They are brand new Bosh Platinum +2 plugs. This seemed to help the situation some, but did not eliminate the problem.

Aside from running LUCUS through the system, I have not done any carbon build-up cleaning. I was considering running some seafoam through the system. (A friend swears by the stuff)

No CEL is lit. However, when I had similar problems with my Maxima, it ended up being the MAF, and it never lit either. That MAF ended up getting replaced, and it was a Night/Day difference.

I do not have a fuel pressure guage available. Being a shadetree mechanic, how difficult is it to hook up and use one of those?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Monday, November 16th, 2009 AT 9:49 AM
SERVICE WRITER
Safoam is good and do suggest it.
I would never use bosch plugs from experience.
The fuel gauge plugs into the fuel rail at the schrader valve. Look under "how to service and repair " section I believe.
Monday, November 16th, 2009 AT 10:38 AM