2006 Ford F-150 Dealer fried my PCM

BOBKATTKG
  • 2006 FORD F-150
Do you know if it is possible to accidently FRY the pcm? I took my truck, 32K miles, to the dealer to fix a problem with the 4X4 not engaging. Everything else was working just fine, no problems. Before I took it in, I pulled all fuses associated with the 4X4. All okay. I used the truck for several days AFTER the 4X4 went out with no problems. I arrived early at the dealership, and shut off the truck waiting for them to open. When they opened, I started the truck and drove to the service doors, whick were still closed, and shut off the truck. When they opened, I drove into the bay, and shut off the truck. A few minutes later, a tech started the truck and drove it in to the service bay. About an hour later, the tech asked me if I had an add-on alarm installed in the vehicle, because it won't start. I said no, just the factory one. About an hour later, they advised me that I needed a new $800 pcm because the truck won't start! My question is, what are the odds the pcm coincidently went out AFTER they started working on it? One in a million is what I'd say. I think the techs did something, I'm sure accidently, that fried it, and now I'm supposed to pay for their blunder. This SUCKS! Again, do you know how this could happen? Of course, they didn't have a pcm in stock and won't have one for four more days! AND, they haven't even STARTED on the 4X4 issue! P#/!#!% Off in Texas.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:56 AM

WRENCHTECH
Yes, it is VERY easy to fry a PCM. Most of the components carry very low current and can fry in a heartbeat when back fed with current the wrong way.
I would escalate the problem to the Service Manager and demand they take care of it. It was good when you gave it to them and they are responsible.

If you don't get satisfaction from him, contact the Zone area Service Manager at the zone office for your area.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 11:32 AM
BOBKATTKG
Thanks for help! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 9:18 AM
BOBKATTKG
Got my truck back late Friday. They installed a new PCM and 4X4 actuator motor. I made a big stink about the PCM and they eventually gave me 50% off the PCM plus $100 credit for the core. The 50% was granted because I am evidently part of their "Ford loyalty program". On another thread, one guy posted a reply to the same 4X4 issue. He said he tapped on the actuator with a rubber mallet and it kicked in and has not failed since. Well, the tech told me he tapped on mine and it kicked in also. But couldn't tell me how long that would last. So I had him put in a new one. I did ask for the old one back. $300+ for the PCM and $300+ for the motor. If it happens again, I'm going to tap on the motor. :(

Thanks for your help.
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 9:41 AM