2005 Ford F-150 engine stalls

BRIAN GETCHELL
  • 2005 FORD F-150
2005 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a Ford F150 Super Crew. Yesterday I replaced the battery because it kept dying. I drove it home and experienced no problems whatsoever. My daughter then took it to the store and as she was coming home, she was parked at a red light when it shut off again. It did this twice. Today I went out and re tightened the terminals (cleaned them too) and made sure everything was connected. I then drove it to the store and as I was pulling in, I turned my steering wheel all the way to the right. The truck shut off again. I cant help but think its something to do with the alternator. Any ideas?
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 11:54 AM

See my profile. Jeep Guy. Pap is a Ford guy.I like them also, Never had one, cause my CJs are the Best and Most dependable in the world.

Just worked on my Step-Daughter's Explorer. Alternator!

Before we get carried away, lets try the simple test 1st. You need a Voltmeter set to "DC" and to a number, NEXT LARGER THAN 12 Volts (mine is "20" Volts) This is so we can see a range of 8-18 Volts.

BOTH TESTS---WILL BE DONE ON THE POS AND NEG BATTERY TERMINALS

Next---A CHARGED BATTERY (Vehicle off) Should be somewhere in the range of 12----12-1/2 Volts

A Running Rig, Creating a charge to the battery should read about 1315 Volts (my Jeep is 13.8)

The one I was dealing with, had a loose wire (the one that screws [nut on a post] on to the back of the alternator, this post went to the battery). It had burned both the heavy wire terminal and the alternator post. Although the Alternator was "GOOD" charging. It was unusable due to the post "FRYage"

Advance Auto and Autozone can test your charging system. If you cannot. Free of charge. Sometimes they will also be your FREE DIAGNOSTIC MECHANIC. If you can make it there.

Respond with GOOD NEWS!

The Medic
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 11:43 PM