2005 Ford F-150 New battery, now idle problem

TCAUSEY
  • 2005 FORD F-150
I just replaced my battery, I did what the owners manuel said do by letting it idle after replacing it. Had no issues before the battery was replaced, now it either dies when I come to a stop or almost dies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:38 PM

MERLIN2021
In what order did you re attach the battery cables? Did you check the ground wire pigtail if it has one? If it was damaged, or broke off the fender, re attach it too! Try disconnecting the battery for at least 5 minutes, remove the negative cable first, and put it back on last! This will clear the KAM, Keep alive memory, and you can now do a new relearn.
+2
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:46 PM
TCAUSEY
Thanks for the reply, I'll do what you suggested. I think I did just the opposite of what you said. Thanks again
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:54 PM
MERLIN2021
OK keep me posted.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 4:44 PM
TCAUSEY
Thanks merlin2021, that did make a differense. Still has some hesitation at stops sometimes but much better. Seems to be getting better the more I drive, hope it will work itself out. Thanks again
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 7:36 AM
MERLIN2021
OK, you might also want to check the rubber PCV elbow, they tend to dry rot and allow vacuum to escape, try replacing that too. Ford has a good supply of these on hand. It's a well known problem!
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 8:09 AM
TCAUSEY
Still got some drama. My truck still didn't seem to be getting back to normal so I stopped by the Ford dealership today to get some advice. They checked it out and said I need a new throttle body. Just needing some thoughts on this. The truck had no idle problems what so ever before changing the battery. Could this just be that the throttle body just went out at the same time or is there something as I can check. Thanks for any help you can give. Terry
Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
MERLIN2021
Is the check engine light on? Autozone can read the codes if any and they do it free, Post all codes found.
Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
TCAUSEY
No check engine light on. I will go to Autozone to see if any codes come up. Thanks
Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 6:40 PM
TCAUSEY
Went to Autozone had the codes checked. It came up with code P0506. The check engine light did come on yesterday. It surges up an down at idle. Code says
1) Vacuum leak on engine ( I looked every where I could didn't see anything.
2) Dirty throttle body
3) IAC motor defective
4) Poor electrical connection to the IAC valve.
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 12:33 PM
MERLIN2021
The IAC is a common problem on these anyway, get a can of spray Throttle body cleaner, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs! If that doesnt do it, you may need a new idle air control valve, it's bolted to the throttlebody
Clean out the throttle body too. Do it with the motor off, and use a rag to wipe the carbon off with the tbi cleaner. If this has the electronic throttlbody, there is no IAC. Clean the throttle body, it may work, taking it off to clean will yield better results! Ford states these throttle bodies are not to be cleaned. Think Toyota here. Electronic throttle control is tricky stuff, NASA is involved with figuring out Toyota's problem, so you really do need to be a rocket scientist nowadays! BTW which engine does this have? 4.6, 5.4? Be advised, using cleaners not meant for throttle body cleaning WILL KILL etc throttles. If it stalls at idle, but runs good, it's probably the electronic throttle actuator.
+1
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 1:45 PM
TCAUSEY
Thanks merlin2021, I'll do what you suggested and let you know the results. It's a 4.6 engine.
Thanks again
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 2:50 PM
MERLIN2021
OK I will check back!
Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 5:48 AM
LEDESMAR
I'm having the same problem after changing out the battery. My mechanic said he needs to download the new codes to the computer. I didn't try replacing the battery cables in the reverse order. Will try that.
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 1:34 AM