Stuck in four wheel drive low

SHAWN.SMITH
  • 2004 FORD F-150

V8 Four wheel drive automatic 38,000 miles.

My wife recently informed me that my truck is stuck in four wheel drive low. She recently took a three hundred mile trip and on the way back she hit a snow storm and had to kick it in four wheel drive. She tried switching in/out of Hi and Low and it still remains locked in the Low position. My truck has a 6" Pro-Comp suspension lift with custom gears in the rear. I also have a super-chips module installed and I have it programmed to 87 Octane and Gear ratio 4.53, I believe. I am not even sure what size gears I have in the rear because when I bought the truck the dealer did not know what size. When I programmed the super-chip I uploaded the 4.53 ratio. Would this have an effect on the gears or the four wheel drive problem?

Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 AT 6:45 AM

GRANITES

In my 2004 F-150 you have to put the truck in neutral and then press the brake until you hear it disengage.

+10
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 1:25 PM
MECHMONSTER

Yes, he is correct. The vehicle must be completely stopped with the foot on the brake and the transmission in neutral (not in park) before you can disengage the 4x4 Low. This is not necessary to do if you are in 4x4 Hi. This is all described in your owners manual pg. 167.

+5
Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 3:56 PM