2004 Ford F-150 4WD

• 1 POST
  • 2004 FORD F-150

Noises problem
2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

With the truck in 2wd there is a light ratcheting noise coming from under the truck. I lifted one wheel off the ground and I can hear it thru the hub. The noise goes away when I engage the 4wd. The noise is not consistant, under light and normal excelleration the noise is present, at any speed under NO load the noise goes away. The ratcheting noise does change pitch with the speed of the truck and not engine rpm so i'm sure it's in the drive line. I first thought is was a u joint as the sound is somewhat similar but since it goes away when the 4wd is engaged I don't believe it would be the cause.

Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 12:47 AM

Soundss like your truck has a front hub that isnt disengaging, this could be stuck part way or not completely disengaging, so what you hear is the front hub part way engaged, that is why it goes away in 4wd. Try disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line to the hub and see if it works, if not you may want to have a shop look at it, this could do other damage if not fixed soon

Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 7:57 AM