2004 Ford F-150

TWILLROTH
  • 2004 FORD F-150
I added some Restore to my truck, and almost immediately the check engine light came on and it started running really crappy. It has a rough idle, and almost no power. I was slowing down for a stop sign and the rpms started fluctuating rapidly. Once the engine's warm, it doesn't do it as bad or as much, but still acts up occasionally. Any idea what could cause this?
Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 8:19 PM

FLEXY5
With so many treatments on the market, if you don't mind me asking: What is "Restore?" Is it gas, oil, or something else?
Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 10:07 PM
TWILLROTH
"With so many treatments on the market, if you don't mind me asking: What is "Restore?" Is it gas, oil, or something else?"

it's an oil treatment that is supposed to restore engine compression by adhering and "filling in" the cracks and wear marks inside the cylinders. It has nothing to do with the fuel/emissions system, yet it seems to have triggered something in the engine. Unless it's a coincidence. My wife filled up on thursday, and there was just under 3/4 tank when I dumped it in. I would think that if it was a fuel problem it would have happened prior to the additive. Don't know, i'm stumped!
Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 7:45 PM
FLEXY5
Have you checked it for codes? Even if the light isn't on, it may still leave a code in memory. I would be leaning towards a mass air flow sensor, but it may be something else. I know autozone will scan codes for free, but don't buy anything until you post back. It could be something entirely different.
Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 9:23 PM
TWILLROTH
My buddy has a code reader and I plugged it in tonight. It was the cam/timing. I cleared the code and the light went out. The wife says it's been running fine the last couple days. Maybe the restore built up on the sensor and caused a faulty code or something. No clue. We'll see what happens, but it seems to be alright now. Thanks for the reply/advice.
Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 AT 8:25 PM