2003 Ford F-150 starting

APVOLK
  • 2003 FORD F-150
I have a 2003 ford f150 with the 5.4 triton. Recently I have had problems starting in the cold weather. It turns over fine and tries to fire but will not start. After trying for awhile I can get it started but then get engine light and scanner says system too rich, probable because I hold pedal to floor to get running. After I get it going for the first time it starts fine all day but same thing happens next day after letting it sit. I am thinking it is a bad check valve in the fuel pump but not sure. And if so how tough is it to change fuel pump? I also have had a remote starter installed but dont think that should affect this problem. Thanks Tony
Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 12:18 PM

BLACKOP555
Starts fine when its warmer out? Check the fuel pressure I dont think that has anything to do with your problem if its reading rich.

Also another thing is it shouldnt be reading rich so soon after it is started as the oxygen sensors has to heat up in order for the vehicle to go into closed loop mode and collect information from those sensors.

Try unhooking them, run better?
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 11:27 AM