High idle

DBAUER78
  • 2002 FORD F-150
The vehicle will suddenly kick into very high idle (over 3 rpms) and will not 'kick' down, but, it will only move at maybe 12 miles per hour. I don't know if this is engine or trans problem. The last time my husband 'banged' around the engine (most things are tested this way, to my dismay) but it did stop. We took it to a mechanic who could find nothing wrong and it has now happened again. I will have it towed to a dealer (?) But would like to know if you have any suggestions as to what would cause this?
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:23 AM

JACK42
For starters have the PCM (computer) scanned for codes, AutoZone will do it for free. If the PCM sees a problem it will store a code that will help in diagnosing the problem, get back with the exact codes. Sounds like it could be the IAC (idle air control) sticking, but will need to be scanned as to why it wont go over 12 mph.
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 7:20 AM

Sponsored links