2001 Ford F-150 engine stalls

ABREITBACH
  • 2001 FORD F-150

2001 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88,000 miles

My truck idles fine but stalls or nearly stalls when I put it in gear. I can occasionally get it to avoid the stall if when I put it in reverse with my foot off the brake. It will shudder and then start going normally. I can also get it to go in either gear if I get on the accelerator as I put it into gear.

Once moving, it will surge and shudder as it nears a stop and if it doesn't stall it will seem to idle fine (in gear).

There is no CEL/MIL.

I replaced the DPFE valve because of a CEL last year.

I also removed the vacuum line from the EGR and applied vacuum directly to the EGR with the truck idling in park, which resulted in the engine stumbling.

If the truck is off and in gear I am able to roll it forward and back by hand, so the torque converter doesn't SEEM to be locked up.

Please help.

Thank you,
Aaron

Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 AT 6:40 PM

MJR346

Clutch in torque convertor would have been one of the first things I would have said but.

1- check fluid in transmission at hot idle, if not full, refill till full. Sometimes if underfull, it will cause clutch to engage

2- check for leak around PCV vacuum tube from intake to PCV. Known issue and will cause the stumble etc you describe due to it splitting a hole in it.

3 does it buck under load? These things had issues with the coil packs that won't set mil lights

Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 AT 7:36 PM
RONNIE BURNS
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • 140 MILES
  • MERGED

Going about 40 mph. Engine cut off. When I tried to start it and all it did was make a click sound when I turn key over.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:43 AM
  • MERGED

Are your headlights nice and bright over a few minutes time?

Wondering if maybe your alternator quit charging the battery?

Will it do anything if you try to jump start it?

The Medic

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
LINTONRED
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

My 2001 F-150 5.4L will start to stall ocassionally if I have been running it for more that 30min when the ambient temperature is greater than 70 degrees or when towing a heavy load. It will start to die when acclerating from a full stop at this point, flutter, and then accelerate. New plugs, filters, and no vacumme leaks.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
  • MERGED

Check yoru fuel pressure and scan for codes first.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
EVERSTEEG79
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

Let my truck warm up this morning left to go to work it would get to 3500rpm and then rpm would drop and truck would stall out had to stay in frist gear to get home

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
  • MERGED

Check fuel pump pressure. If the check engine light is on, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Most parts stores will do it for free.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
TONYMADRID
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

I have a 2001 F-150 with a 5.4L EFI and A/T. The past two days while driving the engine died. There was no sputtering or chugging, it just went dead. I placed the trans in Neutral while still rolling and it started right up. There is no indication such as check engine light or any other factor such as poor idling or acceleration. It just died and then starts up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
  • MERGED

Could be an ignition switch problem-if okay start checking the fuel system

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
COWBOYUPAMERICA
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

I can be driving down the road and the engine dies.I pull over, wait a few minutes or not and the truck will start/crank back up. What is the problem?

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
  • MERGED

The way you describe it, I look for an rpm signal. That signal comes from the crank sensor. An intermittent rpm signal can drive you crazy. There could be other issues? I can't give you a definitive answer. Any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free.

Are you running on propane--natural gas--gasoline?

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
GINAMASTRO
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

This is an intermittent issue, but getting more common. The truck turns on without problem but has a rough idle. Sometimes when coming to a stop or changing from park to reverse or drive the engine dies, but can easily be restarted.

When coming to a stop the truck stutters very badly, almost feels like the brakes are skipping, and then it completely shuts off. There are also times when the truck feels like its bucking at a stop light, but then the engine roars and keeps itself going.

Mil codes are bank 1 and bank 2 too lean.

I have replaced the alternator and the fuel filter recently. No leakage in the intake manifold after a smoke test.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
CADIEMAN
  • MERGED

Ck. The fuel pump pressure with a gauge.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
FCHAPMAN5
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

2001 Ford F-150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My engine starts but after I take my foot off the acelerator, the engine dies. This has never happened before.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
BILLYMAC
  • MERGED

HI sounds like either a vacum leak or a idle air control motor. But first I would disconnect neg bat cable for 5 mins and then try and maybe it will reset the iac

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
BIGREDD59
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

2001 Ford F150 V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

I have a 2001 F150 crew cab and have just recently started having a problem when I start my truck. When I turn on the ignition it starts, but as soon a I put it in gear it dies. I have to crank it and hold the accellerator down to get it warm before I can try to put it in gear again. This has happened several times and I am afraid it might die at a light so I hold the gas pedal down which makes the engine race.

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
  • MERGED

Clean out the idle air control valve and EGR valve and test the thorttle position sensor closed idle/WOT voltages

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
HARRYWEAZER
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

2001 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Truck runs great-never any problems then it justs dies. It cranks but won't start until after it sets. Replaced battery and had it placed on computers, everything checked out. Help

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:45 AM
BLACKOP555
  • MERGED

When it wont start check the fuel pressure. Also check teh spark with a spark tester, all you have to do is pull the wire off and put it on the checker and check. Let me know what you find.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:45 AM
ASPY1
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

2001 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

While driving down the highway at 65mph in my 2001 Ford F-150 5.4L engine just shut off. I did not notice an engine light come on. I shifted to neutral and tried to start it with no luck. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried numerous more times with no luck. While on the side of the road I took out the strader valve on the fuel rail and my wife cranked the vehicle over. No fuel came out. I had the truck towed 40 miles back to town and tried to start it again. No luck. We left town and came back three days later. I attempted to start the vehicle again and this time it popped off right away without any problems. I pushed in the same strader valve on the fuel rail and this time fuel surged out. What could be happening here? All the fuses seem to be o.K as well as fuel shutoff switch. Was the engine somehow flooded or did the fuel pump stop working temporarily or what?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kyle

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 11:45 AM