2001 Ford F-150 Engine Misses P0306

SEQ1JAV
  • 2001 FORD F-150
Good morning,

For no apparent reason, my Ford F-150 4.6 Triton engine started to miss. I hooked my diagnostic computer and received a code P0306 which indicated that the COP on cylinder 6 was missing.

As a test to see if the problem followed the COP, I swapped COP's 1 and 6, reset the computer and the truck ran OK, then started to miss.

I am still receiving a code P0306 with a different COP installed.

Any suggestions?
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 7:17 AM

JACK42
COP? Do you mean coil? If you swappd the coil and it didnt follow it may be the plug or the injector. At 75k it wouldnt hurt to roll a full set of plugs in it, just because it is time. It is most likely the injector though, replace alot of Ford injectors for misfires
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 7:57 AM
SEQ1JAV
Good morning,

Yes, it is the ignition coil above the spark plug. I took the plug out from the missing cylinder and it looked clean, not grey or black.

This happend twice before after I purchased the truck and took it back to the dealer who said they replaced the plugs about 3 miles ago.

I checked the COP's resistance primary and secondary and it was OK. I also checked the voltage going into the COP with the ignition on and it was 12 Volts.

How hard is it to replace the injector?

Side question: a friend of mine who works in our town's garage made a comment that these Triton motors can sieze up if they are left running too long as this is a manufacturer problem. Have you heard of this?

Regards,
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 8:16 AM
JACK42
Im pretty sure you have to remove the upper intake, itis kind of a pain to do.I have never heard of them locking up before
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 8:45 AM
SEQ1JAV
Thanks for your response so quickly.

Should I place all the injectors or just the one? Should I go with EOM or with Bosch?

Anything other than the injectors you can think of?

Regards.
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 9:06 AM
JACK42
The OEM's are most likely made by Bosch, but I always use OE parts.I would probably just do the one unless cost isnt an issue and you plan on keeping the truck for a long time
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 10:06 AM